The Permanent Bureau of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH) is offering several three- to six-month legal internships at its office in the Hague from January to June 2023.
The selected interns are expected to conduct research together with the HCCH legal team the following areas of activity of the organisation:
Family and Child Protection Law (at least three interns):
- 2000 Protection of Adults Convention and 2007 Child Support Convention and Protocol
- 1993 Adoption Convention and Parentage / Surrogacy Project
- 1980 Child Abduction Convention (incl. Malta Process and related Working Party on Mediation) and 1996 Child Protection Convention
Transnational Litigation, Legal Cooperation, and Commercial and Financial Law (at least three interns):
- 1961 Apostille Convention (incl. e-APP)
- 1985 Trusts Convention, 2006 Securities Convention and Digital Economy (incl. DLT) Project
- 2005 Choice of Court Convention, 2019 Judgments Convention, Jurisdiction Project, and 2015 Choice of Law Principles
- 1965 Service Convention, 1970 Evidence Convention, and 1980 Access to Justice Convention
The HCCH Internship Programme is open to those currently studying law at the Bachelor, Masters, J.D, and PhD. level and to those who have already been awarded a law degree or Masters.
The intern should speak at least one of the two official languages of the HCCH, English and French. Knowledge of the other official language is an asset. Knowledge of any other languages may also be an advantage.
Prospective applicants should complete an online application form (available here) and submit the following supporting documentation:
- a letter of motivation (two pages maximum)
- a curriculum vitae (CV)
- a transcript of academic records or statement of academic results
- an academic writing sample (an excerpt of any of your essays or papers in either English or French)
- at least one letter of recommendation
The applications can be submitted until 18.00 hours (CEST), Friday 23 September 2022.
More information about the internship and the application and selection process can be found here.